Friday, June 18, 2010

Dear Dad

Photo credit: Emily Connelly

Dads have a profound effect on our lives, shaping who we are. In many cases, one of the greatest influences a dad can have is on his daughter’s or son’s choice of career. The connection between sons following in their father’s career footsteps is long established. One of my favorite examples is the father-son explorer duo of Jacques and Jean-Michel Cousteau.

Although the link between a daughter’s career path and her father’s has not always been strong, a recent study from the University of Maryland shows that women are three times more likely to pursue the same career as their dad now compared to a century ago. My experience may not fit exactly into the parameters of this study, but I certainly know that my dad inspired me.

As a biology teacher, my dad instilled in me a love of learning and science from a very early age. Some of my fondest childhood memories are of trips to the zoo and aquarium with my dad where he’d teach me about all of the different animals. Because of the encouragement and experiences that my dad gave me, I still carry the same passion for science today. Thanks, Dad.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment