Monday, December 7, 2009

He Said, She Said

I love quotes. Historical quotes, movie quotes, random things my friends blurt out, basically anything. I have collections of them in different places, most obviously in my daily movie quote "away" message and on the post-its stuck to the map above the desk in my office.

I collect quotes, because they come in handy for so many things in writing.

1. Quotes can say the thing you want to say but in a way you maybe never would have thought to say it; and isn't that nice, easy to read thing way the heck better than all my rambling to get to the same basic point?

2. Quotes from leaders (in your field or historically) can bolster a message.

3. Quotes can serve as a piece of evidence.

My library of quotes is pretty large at this point, and I do have quite a few favorites from Thomas Edison's "ways not to make a light bulb" to Star Wars' "Let the wookie win." But instead of just sharing those with you, I want to hear from you!

What are your favorite quotes? What do you find yourself using fairly regularly?

And as a bonus for today's post, the trailer for He Said, She Said.

No comments:

Post a Comment